Beginnings

 "King, did you hear that? The hands of a healer, I say."
Return of the King - J.R.R. Tolkein

I began my journey with Reiki over twenty years ago, in Nov. 1989, six years into my massage practice.

In the early 80s, I learned a brief '
Polarity' treatment during my basic massage training, & felt there should be more we could do with our healing hands!  So when I attended a talk on healing, and  the speaker (Analyse Chamberlaine) mentioned she would offer a Level I Reiki training in a couple of weeks, I realized this is for me!' & signed up. I continued to study with Analyse over the next several years, becoming a Reiki Master early summer, 1991.

Reiki met, no,
exceeded my expectations, & that first class affirmed my sense that I wanted to open the Reiki door' for others! I've been offering sessions & teaching Reiki for over  20 years, & am still amazed at its simplicity & strength!

Reiki, pronounced '
ray-key,' is a precise method for connecting Universal Energy - Chi or Ki - with the body's innate powers of healing.  Rediscovered in Japan about 100 years ago, Reiki combines the healing power of touch with life-force energy, made available to the student through a series of initiations.


Once initiated, Reiki energy is consistently available.  You become a conduit for healing energy to flow into your own body, and into those upon whom you place your Reiki charged hands. It doesn't 'wear off' if you haven't (consciously) used it for awhile, it remains available whenever you need it! 


There are 3 levels in Usui Reiki: 1st Degree opens the conduit for the energy to freely flow,to be used for healing & balancing the student, their friends & family. The next level, 2nd Degreeincludes words (Mantras) & symbols (Yantras) for sending Reiki over distance, for mental emotional balance, & blessing your home, friends & food. Musicians and artists enjoy integrating Reiki into their offerings. The third or Master level includes one more symbol, & teachings for initiating others. Higher degrees aren't 'better,' simply different.

Reiki is not a spiritual belief system and in no way contradicts any individual religious beliefs. It is instead, a simple and gentle transfer of energy that accelerates the body's ability to heal physical and emotional disorders. It invites a return to balance, & inner peace.

*
An early student, familiar with other energy modalities, commented that she 'used to' work at 'gathering' energy from around her to do a healing; after Reiki training, she could feel it simply pour into her, with no effort on her part. My Reiki Master described Reiki as 'clearing the pipes' for energy to flow; when this is done, Reiki flows naturally & easily, with no effort on the part of the practitioner.

* Massage Therapists & other Health Care professionals discover they rarely feel as tired after working with clients/patients, & they no longer seem to 'take on' problems their clients are dealing with.

* A student from my first class greeted his son after a field trip, & the boy was very nauseated from the drive. The dad 'sat with' his son for a few minutes, with his hands on his belly, then the boy skipped home. The driver later told me she'd never seen a child that 'green' recover so quickly without throwing up!

* When I have a slight injury (stubbed toe, smashed finger, sore shoulder) I'll feel a tingle in the affected area when I do a session on someone, & may end their session free of my own pain!

* At a harp conference in 1996, my luthier's daughter hurt her knee, & his wife asked if I'd do 'Fairy Energy' (a friend's name for Reiki) for her. After a few minutes, she dashed off, & her mom commented 'Wow! She could hardly walk!'
With chronic aches & problems, the result may not seem dramatic, as with an acute problem or recent injury, but with time & repetition, stubborn problems gradually abate. Takata went to Japan in 1935 with 'stomach pain' which included: a uterine tumor, appendicitis & gall stones. After receiving Reiki regularly for 6 months, these had  disappeared, as had the Asthma that plagued her from childhood! She regained her vitality, & lived 45 more years, dying in Nov of 1980.


Over the years, Reiki has been a friend, a tool, a wonderful way of connecting to Universal Life energy. I invite you to join me on the Reiki Journey!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Care Reiki style

Blessing food & drink

Rei Ki - the word